8. Patterns in daily life
1. Electricity - relationship between resistance (ohms) of wires, current (flow of electrons-ampere), and voltage (volts)
Alternating Current (AC) made up of sine waves- amplitude, frequency and period or time duration of one cycle; used for TV, desk-top computer, scanner, printer, lights, refrigerator, air conditioner (trig functions). Radio waves are sine waves- frequency (kiloHertz), UHF (MegaHertz); Amplitude Modulation /AM radio-lower frequencies, wave's height (amplitude) is changed at audio rate), FM-Frequency Modulation- higher frequency, changed at audio rates).
Direct Current (DC) for telephone lights, caller ID, clock, flashlight, cell phone, portable phone, calculator, car; binary circuits and boolean algebra used in switching circuits; resonance; electromagnetic frequencies- radio, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, X-rays, gamma rays, cosmic rays; audio frequencies (sound); power (watts), energy (watt-hours) the work energy does for you- what you pay the electric company for using your lights, AC; fiber optic cable.
2. Music- Stringed instruments- Guitar, piano, cello, violin (length of string vs frequency of note); organ (length of tubes vs. frequency)..Amplifier, radio
3. Time- calendar, clock, seconds, minutes, years; Stonehenge; pulse rate, blood pressure; menstrual period, gestation period, eons, generations, ages.
4. floor patterns, quilts
5. DNA molecule
6. Hardness-Mohs' scale- diamond 15, to talc 1
7. Units of measurement
8. Pattern in metric prefixes
9. Sound -decibels (loudness), frequencies (pitch); ear; radio, sound system, audio, speakers, hearing test
10. The Internet-bandwidth, download time (baud rate),
11. ph -measure of acidity/base of soil, solutions, growing food, taste of food
12. Radiation-radio, MRI, X-rays, radioactive nuclear radiation; 1/2 life; radioactive dating, radio beam, radio controlled flight
13. Bicycles- gear ratio->no. of revolutions (gear) vs. the distance traveled.
14. Maps, globe
16. Light, optics, lenses
17. Rates- gas: miles/gallon; interest rate: 5% = $5/$100; speed in miles/hr (km/hr); baud rate (signal processing rate) : _ KiloBytes/second; exchange rate: example $/yen; postal rates: cents/ounce (changes with the weight), overseas rate, airmail rates; travel per diem rate $/day paid for housing; investment rates on CDs, money markets, auto loan, credit card rates, savings, and other FDIC-insured products; state: income tax rate, sales tax rate, mortgage rates; phone rates: example 4.9¢/minute; advertising rates $/inch; airline rates; hourly wage rate $/hr.; crime rate, incarceration rates; graduation rate; life insurance rate; subscription rate; rates of Rainforest Loss; hotel room rates; Nuclear Decay Rates; pregnancy success rates; Service Rates (internet access); dropout rates, graduation rates; education benefit payment rates; water rates; unemployment rates; brokerage rates; car rental rates; conference registration rates; Unemployment Insurance rate; diabetes rates; ski rates; daily Loan Deficiency Payment rates (farms); success rates; In chenistry: Reaction Rates, Accidental Release Flow Rates From Pressurized Gas Systems, dripping rates; Physics: velocity is the rate of change of distance with respect to time; acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time; Math: a rate is a ratio, comparing by division; the slope of a curve is a ratio, % is a rate or ratio (per 100, divided by 100); consumption rates (of fuel, water..).